How to Stop a Car after a Brake Failure?
Some reasons cause the car brakes to stop working correctly. Two of the most common reasons is the fading of the fluid in the braking system or the fading of the pads in the car’s brake. Both of the two causes can be resolved by taking the car to the mechanic regularly or Try to avoid pressing too much on the brakes for long periods of time.
When this happens to you, you should be getting your car to a safe place or the nearest stop as you can.
I’ll give you some essential steps just in case your car brakes stopped working suddenly:
- Try to slow down your car’s speed through using the gas pedal.
- Turn on your front lights to make a signal that something is wrong with your car to get help as soon as possible. You can use your horn, too.
- If your brake’s pedal is tough to use and does not move properly, it means that something in your brakes’ system may have collapsed or there’s something under the pedal makes it stopped working. Try to find that thing using your foot.
- Pump your brakes several times even if your car has ABS (antilock brake system) brakes as it could rebuild enough pressure in the braking system which would enable you to stop. Brake firmly while you continue to steer.
- While you’re slowing down to stop the car, shift into a lower gear. Using your engine and applying your emergency brake will help you to slow down. Be careful; sudden shifts may damage your transmission. But you have to manage to shift in reverse as you must do what is necessary to stop the car.
- Using the emergency brake can actually stop a car, but it will take longer time than taking it to a stop, as it prevents the rear wheels only (the front would be still running). If you want to do this, then you should apply the brake slowly and steadily as possible. Your emergency brake can lock your tire in case you used it too hard or too fast.
One last thing: Don’t shut your car’s engine off during a brake’s failure until you get to a stop. Shutting it off will disable your power steering systems, and it’d be so hard to manage driving (if not impossible).
These are the most important tips for stopping a car with no brakes. The most important thing is not to panic when this happens to you as you could turn the engine’s powers off and that might cause a big problem. I wish you good luck and all the other readers.